Sunday, April 11, 2010

"OPEN-OPEN-OPEN!"

So I first ask you to think on this: when you pull up to a business that is obviously closed, think Macy's at midnight or DMV after dark...what do you do?.....

Well, what you probably don't do...pound on the door...if that has been your tactic in the past, I suggest, I beg of you, reconsider, get back in your car and go back during business hours...

I am betting you can see where I am going with this...we had 4 nights in a row that between 2:30 and 3:30 AM people showed up at the motel and pounded on the door, I could hear them reading the business hours sign,,,then pounding on the door and 2 out of 4 times POUNDING on my bedroom window...really!!!??? What are you thinking? A perky little imp will spring from bed and greet you at the door with a room key...? Not gonna happen people... We are CLOSED...if you didn't plan ahead, well go to the Travelodge, they ARE open, they are more than 16 rooms and have a staff of more than TWO...Sorry, we are not the all hours place, this girl needs some beauty sleep! Unfortunately I seem to be on this auto wake of 3 AM now, that sucks...I did get up one night, I opened my front door, not the office because I didn't want him to say, "well you're up now can I get a room" I opened the front door, to an older man (about 60), I asked what he wanted (he had pounded on my window) he asked how much rooms were, I told him we were closed, he again asked how much, I told him it was irrelevant since we were CLOSED!!! Aggghhh...

The good news is that during our open business hours, we have gotten MUCH MUCH busier. This week we are sold out Sunday (tonight) through Thursday. We have a big group in town and its awesome! So, with this increase in business and revenue, I am having the talk with the owner tomorrow about reinstating my pay and my days off...this girl is working her tail off for less of everything,,,,grr, making me a bitter pill to swallow!

Since we made a little money, I was sure to spend it immediately so I could get the things our guests need, coffee pots, flatware and plates, all rooms now have cute new bedding too, whew, this feels better!

Gosh, so much has happened in the last 2 months that I can't even recall...sorry, there was some good material, maybe it will come back to me! In the meantime, learn the lesson, if its closed...walk away;).

The past few weeks have been stressful, however, I am very hopeful for a busy summer with lots of happy guests. I have lost my love for Yelp! since my guests post reviews and they disappear almost immediately...grrrr, so trip advisor is where I am sending people now!

Oh- I have contacted some local artists to hang art on consignment, we have 3 rooms with original art now and they are really cool, once I have all the rooms done, we will do an open house and a press release, I really want to give artists the exposure, and hopefully sell a few pieces, and most of all, get the 80's marriott art out of the rooms:).

"Office"...gotta check someone in- back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment