Saturday, October 30, 2010

And then there was one...now two...now one...sigh...

Soooo, I have been having issues with my housekeeper for about 6 months. The first 6 months she was phenomenal, I mean truly amazing...Then...well it all started to (dramatically change) in addition to her work performance taking a nose dive, her English comprehension went from 60% to 2% and she pretty much lost use of her (English) words...So, this is where the challenge began. I care about her, we are a teeny property, its she and I, just TWO people work here. I addressed issues, in conversation, in translated letters...by pointing for goodness sake..."Yes, Yes," is what I heard, and as I walked away I am sure she said a few choice words under her breath. It was clear close to 6 months in that she felt like I needed her more than she needed this job. She has a rotten relationship and that is when it started to interfere, it seems she couldn't pull herself out of the drama, she tried to pull me in a few times with sob stories of needing to borrow $300 for one hour only (um, what? No!) even her "husband" called me that day and actually TOLD me to give her the money and she would pay it back in THREE hours, Um, NO...She had been particularly iffy that week and I even let him know that based on her hours and performance, she would be lucky if I kept her on. Several times when I addressed items that had already been an issue, I asked if she understood and told her that if it happened again, she would not have a job.

Beginning of summer, I find a few things that she is NOT doing that I do not agree with. A room is a room and they need to be cleaned from top to bottom every check out, period. I discussed things with her, wrote it down and instructed her NOT to say Yes if she didn't understand...Last straw, So, I gave her 5 days off, called each night and said I didn't need her the next day (informal suspension), during this time, I cleaned the rooms, not thrilled about this, but I figured, if I felt like she was dragging her time out then I personally needed to see how long it would take (and I am NOT a professional housekeeper!) So I got a feel for that. She had been disappearing for half hour or so (that I know of, who knows where she was or what she was doing.) So, anyhow, I was letting the steam subside and doing her job so I could see it from her side.

The morning of Day 5, I walk into the office to, well I guess it was an intervention...Her mom, sister, aunt and niece were all standing in my tiny vestibule, I hadn't had coffee...just out of bed and brushed teeth...The niece speaks perfect English, she says that my hskp has asked them to come in and find out why she is getting no hours. This was like an interview with the (tiny female) Mexican Mafia (the whole family is well below 5ft). I tell them what is going on, they all express disappointment and say they will talk to her and thank me AND tell me that if it doesn't work out with her, I can call them.

6 months go by, we have been open one year...and 3 days...and the straw breaks this camel's back. Things had been building up again, things that I was finding when I checked rooms, and on this final day, her blatant lies and not owning up to (not cleaning a toilet and changing a shower curtain) were literally my last straw. I let her go.

One hour later her niece called to find out why, claiming that she had NO idea why I had let her go, she asked if she could have one more chance, I said no, she had 5 chances and was not showing improvement. One hour after that a guy from a bar a few doors down came int to ask what happened and plead for her job back, I told him the story and asked that he call her and ask that she NOT send her entire family in the next day to ask for her job back, he confessed that the meeting was scheduled for 9 am and he wanted to know from me directly what had gone on in case she was lying...Fortunately her ENTIRE family did NOT show up the next morning,,,,however she DID show up with her 2 year old and her 8 year old to get her radio and asked for another chance, I told her no, her daughter (8) translated then burst into tears, heartbreaking and infuriating all at the same time.

So, she is gone, my ad is posted on Craigslist and in the meantime I AM THE HOUSEKEEPER...oh goody...we have 11 out of 16 rooms booked to stayovers so the job is only excruciating twice a week :)- So, I do laundry, sweep the parking lot, change beds and towels, vacuum etc. Yep, its hard work, I already knew that! The extra paycheck was nice, but not that nice! So, Monday morning, I am elbow deep (with gloves) into cleaning a shower, iPod on, and I get startled, look up and Aunt and Niece are standing in the doorway (and my phone is ringing because hunny is trying to warn me) I take off my gloves and earphones and say "PLEASE do not tell me you are here to plead for her job back, the answer is no." (Keep in mind that as I started to clean rooms I found things that had been overlooked in every room so I was even more content with my decision). Aunt and niece say, "No, we are looking for work...." I pause...I had tried to hire niece as my day off girl/ relief housekeeper and it lasted one day (um, yes, the end of August was the last time I had a day off..sigh) anyhow, So, I chat with them a bit and say fine, Aunt can start on Thursday, give her the hours and pay (it's less than I was paying, with the clause of one month in she will get a raise if she proves herself and if there is NO FAMILY DRAMA.) She accepts.

I clean for 3 more days and am ready to drop. Thankfully, Thursday arrives and she shows up (a bit late, but apologetic and I am just happy to not have to be folding laundry)- she works that day and does a great job, is very conscientious, understands English well, asks questions, I am content, I have help.

Today is Saturday, Aunt is working away, niece calls to tell me that unfortunately her mother has to quit because the whole family is badgering her for "stealing her sister's job", I am dumbfounded, trust me, I was surprised that they would come to the motel where there family member was just fired and ask for work, for the sake of loyalty, but I appreciated their ingenuity as they knew I had an opening! Anyhow, I talk with niece and remind her that her aunt lost her own job and if it wasn't her mom who was hired, it would be someone else, she understands and agrees and is so upset that the family is being this way to her mom. She says mom can work 2 hours on Sunday and that's it and she's very sorry....and....If I would like to give her (niece) another chance, SHE will come work for me...I pause, and say, "Wait, why is it not okay for your mom but it is okay for you to work here?" She replies,,,"Well, because I don't care what my grandmother and aunt say, I think it's ridiculous and I have told my mom she should ignore them and I have children and it's almost Christmas and work is work, so they can bully me, but I don't care."

Wow, this is a lot. So, I say she can come in on Monday and we can talk and get her started (it will be a concise conversation because she seemed very lazy the one day I had her here.) So, here is my emotional/cleaning rollercoaster! The thought of doing my job and the maids job every day, Oh my, really more than I can fathom, tolerate or physically endure! I will give this a shot (and post another ad on Craigslist mid week...just in case;).

So, we went from a staff of two, to one, to two, to one, and now perhaps two.

Wish me luck! (PS, now I am icked out by the original housekeeper, the fact that she is turning her family on her sister and she is making herself out as the victim (of her sister stealing her job), she is showing her lack of integrity and immaturity and it is not appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment